This page has moved to a new address.

Are Doctors Just in it for the Gwap?

----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Rounders Date: 27 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Are Doctors Just in it for the Gwap?

Giving birth is probably the most important and rewarding thing I have ever done. It's truly a miracle how human life is conceived. It's also a miracle how I was able to make it through the birthing process.  To this day I can honestly say I have never felt pain like that!  Some people say you don't think about it later because you focus more on your beautiful bundle of joy, once it's all over. I wish that were the case for me. Every body knows that giving birth is painful! Hello!!!! That's why some women get epidurals!! Duh!!   It's the pain that you go through afterwards that they don't tell you about.  Right now I'm in hurting bad.


Let me start off by saying that I'm not claiming to be an expert.  I can only speak from my own experiences. When I found out I was pregnant, I read as much as I can to prepare for what I often refer to as D-Day. I also made it a point to keep up my exercise routine. I thought for sure that staying fit would mean an easier delivery and easier way to melt away those post pregnancy lbs.  I even did a feature story in which I talked about the importance of staying fit while pregnant.  Now I must say that I had a pretty okay delivery, meaning that I didn't have a c-section.  But ever since I had Princess, I've noticed a sharp pain in my wrist.  I've heard that it's actually quite normal in some moms and that it would go away eventually.  But after several months, the pain was still there.  

I finally made in to see the orthopedist back in March and found out that I have de quervain's tenosynovitisThe doc gave me an non inflammatory medication called Pennsaid which was like pouring water on my hand.  It did absolutely nothing.  I was instructed to apply to it to my wrist four times a day and schedule a follow up visit in two weeks.  I later canceled the appointment due  family obligations.  Still, I continued to rub the stuff on religiously.  I also got a tip from another doc I know.  He told me to add a heat pack for twenty minutes everyday, and wear a splint to reduce movement in my wrist.  The splint and heat pack did help ease the pain a bit, but that acute feeling kept coming back.  So, I went back to the doc the other day and she told me to set up an appointment for physical therapy.  That's it!!  I paid a thirty-five dollars co-pay for her to tell me to consult with a physical therapist?!!  I was pist!!!  

Instead of giving her a piece of mind, I politely said with a smile "I'm not trying to be rude but, I didn't come all this way for you to just send me for physical therapy.  This could have been done over the phone."  She went on to say that I did miss my last appointment and that therapy was the next step.  Is it just me or did she totally waist my time?  It's no secret that the medical industry can be crooked, but jeez Louise!!  She clearly saw how frustrated I was and then offered me another anti-inflammatory, Voltaren Gel.  Great, now I have another medication to put on my wrist.  Plus, I have another appointment for a physical therapy consult.  

Instead of having me constantly setting up these appointments, why couldn't we kill two birds with one stone?  You see, in this particular practice everything is in the same office and it's never crowded.  Why couldn't I consult with a therapist since I was already there?  Why would I have to keep coming back for them to tell me to set up appointments?  I feel like I'm getting the run around.  I've done physical therapy before, and I can honestly say that it has helped me out a lot.  But when you're being instructed to set up bs appointments, it makes me feel like they're just trying to take my money.  Are these doctors just in it for the gwap?  This isn't the only time I experienced doctors charging me for no reason.  A few months ago I took my daughter in for a well visit.  (FYI, there isn't usually a co-pay for an infant well visit because it's just a check up).  Anyway, while we at the well visit, I quickly mentioned to the doc that Princess had a little sniffle and I asked if she can also check her sinuses.  So, she did.  No medication or follow up was required.  The doc just advised me to run a hot shower and have Princess breath in the steam to relieve any congestion.  That's it!!  Then when we were about to leave the receptionist told me we had a twenty dollar co-pay.  I told her that this was a well visit, and she responded that it turn into a sick visit.  Therefore, we had to pay the twenty bucks.  I couldn't believe it!  Are these doctors looking out for the patients best interest?  Am I just being too cheap?  What do you think?  Would love to get your thoughts.

Weather Anchor Mama

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home