WAM's Cheesy Mac
Everyone knows that my sis makes the best mac and cheese. If we're having company over, she's always the designated mac and cheese maker. Princess loves it too, considering she is a very picky eater. But let's face it, I can't expect her to make it every time I crave it. So, I've come up with own recipe with lots of cheese. Don't worry, if you're lactose intolerant there are substitutes that you can make to prepare your own tasty dish.
I brought some in to work and my co-workers salivated over my dinner. One of them requested I post it on my blog. So here ya go Ray!
Here's what you'll need:
2 large pots
4 Cups Milk (I like to use soy milk to prevent dairy overload. I have a sensitive stomach, and have to go easy of the dairy. Rice and almond milks are other great options)
4 Cups of mild and sharp cheddar cheese (This is when I go crazy with dairy. The more cheese the better, even though I may have to pay for it later. If you're sensitive to cheese, you can use Veggie Shreds instead.)
1 cup pecorino romano cheese (you can also use parmesan flavor instead, if you have a sensitive tummy)
6 tablespoons of butter (I use I can't believe it's not butter or smart balance)
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of nutmeg
1/4 cup of onions (optional)
14.5-16 oz of Whole grain pasta (another healthy alternative is brown rice pasta)
1. Boil water with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add pasta and cook it for only about 9 minutes. (Cooking it longer will lead to a mushy end result)
2. Strain pasta and set aside
While pasta is cooking, you can get started on the cheese mix.
3. Melt butter in a pot (set burner to medium heat)
4. Add Milk, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, nutmeg, 3 cup of cheese, 1/2 cup parmesan/pecorino romano, and onions. Stir until the mixture is thick.
5. Add cooked pasta to the cheese mix
6. Poor into casserole dish
7. Sprinkle remaining sharp & mild cheddar, parmesan/ pecorino romano cheeses on top
8. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees.
7. Remove foil and bake uncovered for 10 minutes for a golden finish
Your WAM's Cheesy Mac should look like this:
Whether you use dairy or not, you can still achieve WAM's Cheesy Mac!
Weather Anchor Mama
Labels: Down Home Cookin'