This page has moved to a new address.

Will My Next Baby be a Home Delivery?

----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Rounders Date: 27 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Friday, February 10, 2012

Will My Next Baby be a Home Delivery?

As I've mentioned before, I am a planner.  So when I found out I was preggers, preparing for my bundle of joy was a no brainer.  I found a great ob-gyn, and a fantastic hospital.  I read up on everything involving being pregnant.  From diet and exercise to everything leading up to delivery.  I wanted to make sure I had all my i's dotted and my t's crossed.

I was especially curious about the labor process.  I remember asking my doctor if it was ok to deliver my baby in a different position.  I didn't plan on getting an epidural and researched ways to cope with child-birthing pains.

The conversation went something like this:
Me: "Would it be ok if I move around during labor?"
Doc: "I don't think you'd be in any condition to move about much, once those contractions get strong."
Me: "I know.  But, I've read that moving around will help with the pain and dilation."
Doc: "You're free to walk around.  But once we're ready to push, you'll have to be in bed."
Me: "On my back?  Would it be ok if I pushed kneeling down, if I were more comfortable?"
Doc: "Absolutely not!"

I  later learned that hospitals would allow you to walk around before being 10 centimeters dilated.  But once you're drugged and ready to push, you have to lie on your back with your legs up and spread eagle during the pushing phase.  I wondered if I made the right choice of giving birth in the hospital.  I read about the risks of getting the epidural.  All the side effects made me extremely nervous.  Besides, I wanted the liberty of moving around without being tied to machines the entire time.

I researched at home deliveries and considered changing my birthing plans.  But later stuck with the original one, since I was so far along in my pregnancy.  Sometimes I wonder how my experience would have been, if I had given birth at home.  I recently stumbled across this article on CNN Health which states that home births are on the rise.   It's most common in women over 35 who have already experienced child birth.  While there's no clear cut reason as to why more women are choosing to deliver at home, one doctor theorizes that home births cost less than hospital births.  Also, some moms-to-be may be dissatisfied with hospital care, and feel more comfortable with one-on-one attention.

I have a ways to go before I even reach 35, but a home birth is something that I would consider.  Since I've already experience child birth and don't have any health concerns, maybe this could be right up my alley.  I'd be free to roam about, deliver in any position, and I wouldn't be medicated.  I wouldn't have to deal with those hospital rules.

Even though I'd have more freedom during delivery, there would still be a lot to consider.  For me, safety is numero uno.  What if something goes wrong?  What if I can't hold out on getting an epi like the last time?  My midwife may end up having to send me to the hospital anyway.  But, what if I don't make it and go into cardiac arrest or something.  Then what?!

If it's one thing I've learned since becoming a mom, you can plan everything leading up to d-day.  But you can't plan your delivery.

Would you ever consider giving birth at home?

Weather Anchor Mama

Labels:

4 Comments:

At February 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM , Anonymous Patti Mulligan-Neda said...

I considered a home birth, but once a chiropractor told me (advice comes from unexpected places!) that in the event your baby cannot breathe once born, you need to be in a place that can resuscitate quickly and effectively. That was enough for me to decide to deliver in a hospital.

 
At February 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Jamila said...

I had both of my daughters in the hospital and wouldn't change a thing. My original plan with my first daughter in 2008 was to go without pain relief. I labored for the first 20 hours, but couldn't take the pain any longer. I knew I would not be able to push at all if I didn't get an epidural before completely dilating. We considered a home birth last year when I had my second child, but soon remembered how unbearably painful my contractions were. My husband and I decided it would be best for me to deliver at the hospital so that I would have access to an epidural. If you feel comfortable with having a home birth then you should do it. If you have any doubts or feel that a situation may arise that will require more than your midwife or doula can provide, then deliver in a hospital. Good luck and happy baby making!

 
At February 10, 2012 at 4:28 PM , Blogger Weather Anchor Mama said...

I don't blame you. While it seems like a great (but painful) experience, there is still a chance that something could go wrong. There are times when I struggle between modern medicine and a more natural approach. When I think back to so many women dying as a result of child birth, I come to my senses and realize that hospitals have all the right stuff to save us- medicine and equipment we don't have in the comfort of our homes.

 
At February 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM , Blogger Weather Anchor Mama said...

Thanks Jamila! It'll be a while before my hubby and I start working on number two. So, I have a lot to think about until then. If I do decide to do a home birth, I'll be blogging about it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home